Monday, May 4, 2009

Will I Teach Urban Education?

I was pretty sure that Professor Goldstein omitted blog #8 on the syllabus during one of our classes, but I could be wrong. In the place of that blog, I have decided to write about the question: Will I teach urban education?

I am having an internal debate with myself that I feel is important to address. I have many questions of doubt and comments about excitement. I understand that the topics and issues that we covered over the course of the semester can carry into any school or classroom. Even though it is the end of the semester, I hope that some you have similar questions that I raise, and can give constructive feedback and thoughts.

Honestly, I took this class because it was a requirement for the MAT program and it sounded interesting. Before this class, I had never considered teaching in an urban school/location. Fortunately, I have learned a lot about urban education through class readings, discussions, and the inquiry project that have persuaded me to consider teaching in an urban school. My visit to the Arts High School really put into perspective how successful urban schools are. However, there are several factors regarding my career path that I am still considering, and questions that I am still asking myself:

-Can I handle myself in an urban school that is not a magnate school? (Arts High was a magnate school). Non-magnate schools are more violent and have higher disciplinary issues and crime.

-Will my kind, passive personality be effective in my instruction? Will my students walk all over me? Do I have to constantly worry about my students' safety as well as my own? (I understand that it is not a large concern in magnate schools).

-Will I be more happy in a school that can afford plentiful art materials and nice equipment? Will these elements make teaching more fun?

-I do want to make a difference in history by helping to turn the current education system around for the better. I also want to make positive differences in the lives of urban students. Am I the person for the job? Will teaching in a suburban school give me the same gratification as teaching in an inner city?

I guess I will not know the answers to these questions until the time comes. Observational field work and student teaching will also help make these connections more concrete. I am thinking that the best way to figure out if I like teaching urban education will be to observe or student teach in a city. Only then will I really have a taste of the inner city school systems, and how well I will teach in these conditions.

3 comments:

  1. I am going to teach in the inner city as I am in the Prudential Scholar program, which will have me teach in Newark for at least three years. My question is: Will I stay there? I have the same concerns as you. I have learned a lot in this class but I think the most of my learning will have to wait until I am in the classroom. I think if you are dedicated then you can make your style work in any school. I think if you choose to teach in an urban school that your dedication and passion will allow you to be successful. I think that it is going to be difficult for all of us but questions as these show self-awareness and this is very important to becoming a good teacher. Good luck wherever you decide to teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with alot of the things that you mentioned in this blog. The class really made me wonder what it would be like to work in an urban environment. I like what you said about making a real difference and I feel the same way. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am wrestling with so many of the same concerns as you. I have never been "street savy", never will be and how that will play out in an urban classroom, I don't know but I am going to give it a try. Great description of concerns, you did a better job at capturing then I. Best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete